The Rotary Club of Camarillo was chartered 60 years ago. It all began in 1955, when Camarillo was just a small town. A group of prominent local business and professional leaders decided to start a Rotary Club.
The first meeting was held in the old community center on Ventura Boulevard. Sponsored by Oxnard Rotary, the main club in the area in 1955, Camarillo Rotary then sponsored a club in Thousand Oaks in 1958 and Camarillo Sunrise Rotary in 1985. In 1966, an Interact Club was established at Adolfo Camarillo High School and in 2005 a Rotaract Club was formed at California State University Channel Islands, giving students an opportunity to organize and carry out service projects.
Camarillo Rotary has been good for the community. The main fundraiser is a golf tournament each summer for Casa Pacifica Centers for Children and Families that has netted over $1.5 million in donations. The club also organizes a community dinner, Viva la Comida, each spring, serving over 35,000 meals since 1971. In addition to supporting Casa Pacifica, the Camarillo Rotary Foundation has given over $160,000 to other charities, causes and non-profit programs in the past 5 years, including the YMCA, Boys & Girls Club and scholarships.
Max Copenhagen
Rotary Club of Camarillo